Solacoat contains an additive that reflects up to 80% of the suns solar energy. This means the surface it's painted on - typically a roof, but also pavements, walls and vehicles - remains a lot cooler. This has many benefits.
- When painted onto a roof it reduces the internal temperature of a building. Thus savings on cooling costs and reducing our carbon footprint.
- The surface or structure it's painted onto lasts a lot longer because it's not exposed to extremes of heat.
- The paint itself lasts longer (15yr warranty) because it is not degraded by high temperatures (which degrade many coatings). Thus saving on maintenance costs.
- It remains tough and flexible, giving long lasting protection and resistance to rust, mould, fungal and algae growth.
- It is safe for collecting drinking water off because it does not degrade like other coatings.
Suitable: for external metal roof structures where moderation of temperature extremes is required. Can also be used externally or internally on masonry, brick, fibro cement, cement tiles, PVC and polycarbonate when primed with the appropriate primer.
Appearance: is a gloss dirt rejecting paint.
The best heat reflectivity is from white or pastel colours, but it is also available in dark colours. See colours here
with measurements of the degree of heat reflectivity for each colour.
Odour: very low odour.
VOC: not given
Durability: long lasting and durable dirt rejecting coating with resistance to rust, mould and fungi.
Surface Preparation: It is imperative that surfaces are clean and free from dirt, oil, grease and other contaminants.
Priming: is required for all bare substrates. See Solacoat Primers for the appropriate primer for your substrate. Previously painted surfaces will need to be individually assessed to decide wether or not they need a primer. Generally metal surfaces are best with coat of Solacoat WB Primer wether painted or not. Other painted surfaces such as masonry and timber if in good condition can simply be cleaned and painted without priming.
Application: is by brush , roller or spray gun. Apply in dry conditions above 15 degrees C and below 30 degrees C.
Drying: is minimum 4 hours between coats in good drying conditions. Allow 7 days cure before scrubbing the surface. Allow 14 days for full cure before collecting drinking water. Also flush the first few downpours away before collecting water.
Coverage: is approximately 10 - 12 sq.m/L per coat.
Coats: is two.